Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Pinky

So, for anyone who does not know, here is the story behind my bright pink hair. I have been coloring my hair for years. Sometimes blonde, black, red, even blue and purple. Everyone who knows me, knows that I may show up with a strange color at any time. Earlier this year my hair was blonde, so I put a couple pink streaks in the front. Nothing too outrageous, but noticeable anyway.
In May, I raced in the first Derailer race in Danville. I won in the Sport class. At the awards the Jolly Rogers were all standing together, Me, Allen, Jen, and Chris. They called the second place winner in my age group. He was the “hometown hero” according to the announcer. Then they called me for first place. Apparently when the second place guy got back to his friends, who were behind us, one of them laughed and said, “You got beat by a guy with pink hair”. I doubt that he was trying to be mean about it, or maybe he was, I don’t know. I do know that it struck Jen the wrong way. She told Allen and Chris, loud enough for the other guy to hear, I’m sure, “Get used to it, because you will be losing to him all year!” This is why I love having her as a friend. She speaks her mind and protects her friends. After hearing about all of this, I decided that I would make a statement out of it. I would dye all of my hair bright bubblegum pink!
As Allen said, “If you show up to race with pink hair, you had better kick ass!” So far that is what I am doing with two first place finishes and a second place, and a 12 point lead in the series. The reaction from other racers seems to overwhelmingly positive, maybe even intimidating to some. Everyone definitely knows who I am! Reactions from local rednecks are not as favorable. I did have a group of idiots in a big truck yell some stupid shit at me in the mall parking lot. I thought Jess was going to go hunt them down. I am used to people staring at me though. I have never been in the “normal” category. Nor would I want to be. I wear nail polish most days, not just black, but any color imaginable. And I have a lot of eyeliner and other make-up! I hate stereotypes and a society that wants to tell people how they should act and feel and what they should look like. I want to dress how “I” want to, and look how “I” want to, not the way others think I should.(Punk rock is not dead!) It’s as ridiculous as thinking that an exclusively two party system will always work in government, but that’s another rant.
Anyway, that’s how the pink hair was inspired by a mountain bike race. Watch out in the Fall mountainbikers… the pink haired devil is coming for you!

1 comment:

Jen said...

ROCK ON!!! WE'VE GOT SOME ATTITUDES GOING DON'T WE??? Now, if I can just back it up it will be awesome!!!