Friday, November 11, 2011

NBM #11

 If you have served in the military, describe the job you did, if you liked it, etc. If you haven't served, talk about someone close to you who has.

I joined the Air Force in 1989 right out of high school. I had tried to get into the Air Force Academy, but they only take a small number of applicants from each state each year. I was a semi-finalist, but didn't make. So I enlisted. I had scored very well on my ASVAB testing and I pretty much had my choice of jobs. I decided to be an Avionics and Guidance Systems repair technician. I went to basic training in San Antonio, Texas at Lackland AFB. From there I went to Keesler AFB in Biloxi Mississippi. I was there for 8 months while I went through the electronics training. I was stationed at Griffiss AFB in Rome, NY. My job was to take the faulty electronic components and repair them. These components were off of KC-135 tankers and B-52 bombers. Because I workied on equipment from B-52's that carried nuclear bombs, I had to have a Top Secret clearance. I enjoyed my time in the Air Force and probably should have stayed, but the fairly strict rules were not really for me. I would not trade that time or my service for anything though.

No comments: