Wednesday, May 18, 2011

May Challenge 5/18

From Kal:   When you think of ‘home,’ what, specifically, do you think of?

   It's funny how my perception of home has changed. I grew up just outside of Manassas, Va. My parents moved to Amherst County when I was almost 14. A very diffucult time in childhood to try to start over. I was akward and unsure of myself enough as it was. For a long time I felt home was still in Northern Virginia. Eventually that passed and our new place was home. Then I went into the Air Force. During that time and the time after that I spent renting apartments around Lynchburg, home was always at my parents house. Finally, when I bought my own house, it became home. My sanctuary, the place I always feel safe.
   Another aspect of home is how people feel about themselves. Most feel at home in their own skin, their bodies, even with their perceived flaws, feels right and is never given a second thought. I've never really had the luxery of that basic feeling. I've been outside looking through a window at the warmth and comfort taken for granted by most. It's time to open the door and step in....

No comments: