Friday, November 5, 2010

The Jeep

   I love my old Jeep Cherokee. I was never big into SUV's or 4 wheel drive vehicles, after driving aircooled VW's for many years. But when my first Saturn coup was totaled, which I love them too, I found a great deal on an 89 Cherokee. It was nothing special, slightly bigger tires and a 5 speed. It would go anywhere and everywhere. There's something about the older Jeep transmissions. Even some of today's computer controlled All Wheel Drive systems don't perform as well. After a couple years, I sold that Jeep and bought another Saturn. I still wanted another jeep though. Finally a friend was selling his 89 Cherokee and I grabbed it. This one is automatic, which I don't like as much as the 5 speed, but it already had a 4.5 inch lift and 33" tires on it. After making some much needed repairs to it, I have been driving it for over 4 years now and it is well over 200,000 miles. I wanted a safari look, so I built a full roof, and then some, rack for the top, with a ladder mounted on the side to climb up. It's now badly in need of some body work and new paint, which I hope to take care of next Spring. The old Jeeps seem to go on and on. Hopefully this one has a lot of life left in it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I get it... I have a 99 Dodge Durango, named Daisey, that I love. I love driving her to work , shopping, wherever.. I just love her.. and the best part... PAID FOR.. I bought her brand new in anticipation of the birth of our frist grandchild Cole. I traded in a Pontiac GrandPrix and a little 2 seater Capri.... with a rag top... to get my Durango.. never ever regretted it.

Missy said...

I get it, too! I drive a 1994 Toyota Paseo with 147,000+ miles for my business. In September I was rear-ended while sitting still. The gal hit me doing 45 mph. I worried for days that her insurance company would total the car and kept insisting their adjuster at least looked at the car.

The adjuster told me the best thing I ever did was insist he see the car. He said the car was still in excellent condition and it would have been a HUGE mistake to total her.

I dropped her off yesterday for her final bit of body work after the wreck. She's having a couple of rust spots fixed and getting a brand new paint job! I can't wait to get her home again!